Saturday, August 13, 2011

Things I've Learned...


Kumusta Aking Pamilya!

            So, I’ve decided I really need to be better at sharing spiritual experiences.  I talked about that with a sister the other day and realized I’ve been pretty horrible at that.  I’m usually pretty good at updates and other tid-bits of info; not so good at the “what I’ve learned part.” so, in order to a leave myself from this guilt, you get this letter.  Yay!
            Ok, so I really only have two things for this week.  The first is Elder Holland’s talk, remember, the one I told you about forever ago?  Anyway, I’ve just been thinking about it a lot lately because I’m trying to come up with a mission “mission statement” before I leave.  It was honestly such a great talk.  It’s called “missions are forever;” it’s a talk he gave here @ the MTC.  There was a lot of great things from it, but a few of the things I loved were that first, he compared our calling as a missionary to the same as being called as an apostle.  At first I was like, whoa are you sure?  But then he went onto explain that the next 18 or 24 months we are dedicating our lives to him.  We’re leaving behind our nets, those things that matter to us in our lives, to serve him.  And we won’t ever get this opportunity again...to not worry about anything else but serving God.  I’m seriously so excited for that opportunity.  Life is just too hectic and it’s hard to focus on what’s really important.  But here, that’s all I get to do and love it.  I was thinking about it this week though: They always use the scripture from D & C 4 that says “with an eye single to the glory of God.”  And it just hit me this week; if you put that with Moses 1:39, God’s work and Glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.  And that’s what I get to do for 18 months… I get to make His work, my work.  It’s so awesome and it’s like this big flame inside me.  Ah, I just love it.  It really helped me to realize and know what my purpose is and what I need to do on my mission.
            The other thing that I really liked that he talked about was how this is the Lord’s work, so we have to do it his way.  There are rules for a reason.  And I just feel like it goes for life too.  If we dedicate our lives to Him, we have to do it His way.  That’s just how it goes.  Last thing that I really liked was when he asked the question, why is it so hard?  Why is it hard to be better, to follow Christ, to change, and why is it still hard when we are doing everything we need to?  And he just said, I’m convinced it’s not easy for us because it wasn’t easy for Him.  We’re not the church that hands out Salvation easy.  You can’t just jump up in church and claim to be saved.  It’s because salvation wasn’t cheap.  Ever.  It was bought with the blood and life of our Savior; so why should it be easy you know?  If we truly claim to be disciples of Christ and be as he was, it’s going to be hard.  We have to walk where he walked and become perfected as he was perfect.  It was just a really big realization for me.  It’s hard to change those little things that I know I should change, but just don’t feel like it, you know?  But if we do, we get something so much better!  And it’s so worth it in the end.  Seriously, it was an amazing talk.
            One thing that I’ve struggled with here is one of our “investigators.”  Our teachers play real people they taught in the Philippines and then we teach them as Progressive investigators.  One of our investigators is “Paul.”  He’s a total intellect.  Likes to meditate in the morning, studies anthropology, has studied basically all religions, has read the Bible, B of M, Koran, you name it.  In his study of the “Mormon” church, he even read works by Bruce R Mckonkie.  The guy really knows his stuff.  But he’s not a brat about it.  He just is open and accepting of all people.  And maybe it’s because of my studies and what I did for my major, but I really struggle with telling people like that that they’re basically wrong.  I sympathize with him; I think it’s great that he’s read the Koran and meditates in the
morning.  I think it’s great that he’s so interested in understanding other people.  And it’s like it splits my heart to tell him that, “no, there’s only one way.”  I known there’s only one way, I know that with all my heart, but it’s hard.  But this week I realized that it boils down to, do I love this person enough as a child of God to get over my own reservations and show him the way?  It’s not about me being right, or him wrong, or whatever.  It’s about showing the way and letting them choose.  When they know so much, it’s like you can’t teach them anymore because they need to feel it.  They feel it by the authority and power of truth that we have because if they see and feel that, then they know that this is something different.  That was something I’ve been thinking a lot about this week. 
            But yeah, those are a couple things.  Honest to goodness, it feels like, when you have those moments where you learn something that you know will change your life forever, it feels like I have one of those at least every other day.  It would take forever to tell them all.  But I love it, I’ve learned so much here and I’m so excited to head to the Philippines!
            One more story… just for Ryan because I know he’ll like thisJ. So we were sitting out studying @ the tables a couple days ago and Elder Larsen comes walking over.  And Elder Gallacher looks up and goes, “Wait, that’s my sweater.  And those are my pants!  Is he wearing all of my clothes?!”  And he was!! Haha.  He had taken all of Elder Gallacher’s clothes and put them on, just like Joey on Friends.  Funniest thing ever.  Then he got hot after a while so he started taking them all off and Elder Gallacher goes, “Is someone filming this? Not very often you get a strip tease in the MTC…”  Of my goodness, so funny.  I knew Ryan would appreciate that:)
            Ok, so I didn’t get this letter sent out quick enough, which is a good thing because I just barely got your Dear Elder letters today so now I can answer back.  Tell Whitney it was probably inspiration:).   Ok, so just to answer questions and requests and such since I have to hand write this… First, BRILLIANT idea with the phones!  Seriously though.  Just send it here with and instructions and then I’ll just toss it when I get to Hong Kong.  Genius I tell you.  Tell Twit thanks for looking for the skirt.  I really don’t need anything else, yeah, I’m getting super board with my wardrobe, but I just don’t really care.  Less is more, especially when it comes to packing.  Haha.  And I figure if I REALLY need something new, I’ll find it there.  For the phone call I’m pretty sure I can call anyone that falls under the category of “Family.”  So I’m pretty sure I’ll call both Chanae and Twit too, if Chanae just wants to join @ home, that’s totally cool.  But for Twit she’d probably have to drive up after school and it’ll be late so tell her it’d be ok if I just called her so she wouldn’t have to drive all the way home.  Tell Chanae she better be there or else…J   Salamat! 
Love you so much and I’ll talk to you soon!!  Love Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment