Saturday, June 25, 2011

Crash course in Tagalog


HHHHIIIII!!!

Oh my goodness, I feel like I have so much to tell you all about so I'm going to be typing on turbo for the next 28 minutes.
Here we go. This week has been good. The language is coming. We learned verbs this week which launched us into a whole new realm. Honestly, it's like we've learned in the past week what it would take about 1 year of colleges classes to cover. Not even kidding. But spanish is helping so much I can't even tell you. A lot of the words, just like noun and other gospel vocab are all spanish words. They're spelled funky, but they sound exactly the same. It makes it so I can remember them so much easier. especially gospel words because the spanish were the ones who brought christianity, so most gospel words are spanish. cool, eh. Also, it's helped because after taking so many language classes, i know what works and what doesn't work for me when it comes to memorizing or understanding grammer, etc. So I can pick up on it a lot faster because I already know what works and makes it stick for me while the others are still just trying to figure out how to study. Also helpful because it gives me two languages to compare things to and remember. So if it's like something in spanish i can remember it even though it's totally different from english. It's awesome and I'm so grateful.

I love talking to the Spanish missionaries though! It's so much fun because I can totally catch them off guard when they come to practice give their testimony in spanish too us because I can understand what they're saying. i can't lie though, sometimes it makes my heart hurt because it's just so easy to understand what they're saying and what's going on....ah, if I were speaking spanish right now..... But, I'm still loving Tagalog. once I get it down, it's going to be great :) Mapagmahal means loving/affectionate. The word for the week this week though is pananampalataya....yeah, that means faith. hahaha. I just busted up when that word appeared and thought, you have got to be kidding? THAT means faith!?! Ha, out of control.

One thing that I've noticed this week is that all the missionaries headed to the phillipines are all kind of alike. We all live in building 9M on the 3rd floor, that's where all the philippine missionaries are and we all have a lot of the same personality traits and qualities. We're all pretty dedicated people, but every one of us still knows how to joke and have fun. I have yet to run into a missionary headed to the phillipines who isn't pretty layed back and easy going. But yeah, I thought that was interesting. Just shows that God really does know what he's doing. We're all going there for a reason. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment