Monday, December 10, 2012

Transferred...to Pateros :(


Greetings from Pateros...I am no longer in Mindoro :( Long story short, Sister DeLaMare wanted to get my ear checked out and make sure everything was ok, and the best way to do that was to just have me come back to Manila to see the doctor here and stay here for the last 3 weeks of my mission. I found out last Monday night and then flew out early Wednesday morning. It honestly felt like my heart had been ripped out. Still kind of does. When she called, I just sat on the kitchen floor and sobbed for 30 minutes. I think it was the first time on my mission that it fully registered, "I'm leaving". I've been in such denial, I wish I could explain it. It doesn't feel real to me that I'm leaving the Philippines; that was the first moment that it felt real. It hurt. I went to the mission home with the zone leaders because they were having ZLC and after I went to the doctor (found out there's just built up congestion in my ear that hasn't drained from the infection/fungus. That's why I can still feel pressure and sometimes a twing of pain. It just will take a while to soak back into the tissue daw), I felt just sick. I had to leave my area for nothing basically. And I had tears welling in my eyes with 30 elders starting at me like I'm crazy. And I couldn't hug a single one of them for just a second. I just cried to President when he interviewed me. Shoot. 

But over the past few days, I've been able to see why. First reason is for me. Like I said, I've been in denial, so my head and heart haven't registered yet that I'm leaving the Philippines. I keep telling Heavenly Father to help me prepare because I know it's going to hit so hard. So what happens? I get transferred. Not quite as hard to leave an area you've only been in for 3 weeks and where you know no one. Especially where in Mindoro, I was with all my old companions.  I love the people there, the branch, my zone. He's just easing me into reality real slow like so I don't go into depression or something. And I feel at peace. My work is done in Mindoro. The Lord needs me here.

Second is for my companion. My new companion is Sister M. She's from Australia and has quite the story. She was originally assigned to a different mission, but was reassigned here because she had to have brain surgery. Her brain was swollen with water. The cause: her dad has beat her for about the past 12 years. Makes my heart ache. She's the oldest and her mom died in 2005. She has a hard time with remembering things though. She's been in the area 1 week, so we're basically opening the area together. There's so many sisters coming in next year, President told me she needs to be ready to train. We have much work to do. 

I got a tender mercy though. I got to be with Sister Suarez for 2 weeks and then here my next door neighbor is Sister Lorente. Yay!!! LOVE that girl. Shoot, I've missed her! So I get to be with her for the next few weeks and see everyone else at temple day and Christmas conference. And I'm heading back to my old areas the week before I head home. It just feels like my goodbyes are complete. walang kulang. I'm finally starting to feel like I can leave the Philippines now and be ok with it. 

So as for the culture shock. After being in the province for the last 11 months, wowsa, Hahaha, I just had to laugh at myself. These are the things that have shocked me the most so far this week. 
1: my apartment has a toilet seat! Honest to goodness, I opened the door and was nearly in shock. Busted up laughing. 
2: I also have a shower head. At first I assumed it didn't work, so I started looking for the bucket. When I couldn't find one, it finally dawned.....maybe the shower head works... pleasantly surprised when I turned it on and water came out. Oh my goodness.
3: Everyone's clothes match so well! I'm slowly becoming more conscious of what I'm wearing. Haha. Their outfits are so well put together with so much style, not the gym shorts, ripped jeans, pj pants and old t-shirts I'm used to. Seriously, I find myself staring at people because their clothes just look so nice.
4: So much technology. Everyone has a phone that they're on all the time. What the heck.
5: The ward is organized. Everyone knows what's going on. Ward council was a breeze.
These are the not so great ones.
6: so much gossip that goes around the missionaries. I hate it. I got here and it was like all the sudden this bombardment of chismis that I don't even care to know. I love that about Mindoro. You're in your area and you do your work. The end.  
7: people are pasay. That's means disobedient. It's like, they're lax about their work. Today our entire district meeting was about being obedient. Here it's like, "not cool" to be obedient. They call it being a "prophet". I hate it. That would never happen in Mindoro. Our motto there was, We don't have time to be disobedient. We have work to. Wasn't even an issue there. Shoot, it's hard to describe. Elder Froude and Sister Sanchez have been struggling with it too though. And I miss my zone leaders. They're such great Elders. Definitely set the tone for the entire zone. Kind of homesick for Mindoro. 

So we won't be able to skype on Christmas, but no worries, I'll see all your faces soon enough :) I think I'll still call at 8 am here, 5 pm Christmas eve there if that's ok. I'll let you know if anything changes. And I got your packages today! I haven't got to open them yet, but I'm super excited. When's the appointment for my hair? Just curious, I'm in that much dire need :) Also, don't worry about the ear. We're good to go now with that. I got my flight schedule today too, but I can't remember the times or anything. I'll look at it again and let you know when. 

Love you all much and I'll talk to you next week! We have a temple week next week, so it'll be on Tuesday, not Monday, just so you don't get worried like with Tate :) And I'm echoing Dad's statement.....I need snow! I'll starting praying, no worries. Have a fantastic week!! mahal ko po kayong lahat!


No comments:

Post a Comment