Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eternal Perspective


Kumusta!!! So...I actually sent you some pictures this week!! Yay, are you excited or what!?! Haha. I'm sorry it's taken me so long. But since I sent pictures, I really don't have much time now so hopefully they'll say 1000 words each cuz I probably won't get much in. But I'll definitely get in the important stuff. First of all, I totally agree with the bed bug idea. We have this thing called "permetherine" here and it's so so strong, like, it'll kill a cockroach on contact. So we water it down and spray it on everything. So I think we'll redo that this week and see if that'll help. I'm not really sure anymore. It's just a part of life now, the itching. Haha. It's all good. It's so weird to think it's September already! And go Utah State! that just made my day. Even though I'm still 7,000 miles away, can't get rid of that aggie pride in me :)
So this week has been awesome. There have been a lot of ups and downs, I can't lie. I don't feel like we're doing everything that needs to and can be done in this area, but I'm still so unfamiliar with everything I don't know what to do about it. But it's just a learning process trying to figure it all out I guess. Some news for you, they're splitting our area, not this transfer, but the next. So we've been directed to figure out the boundaries for the two areas and then build up our investigator base like crazy in both areas. The ward that we're working with is absolutely incredible though. Our bishop is so on top of things and ready to get the work rolling so it's been so great to work with him. I'm pretty much scared out of my mind for the split though. Mostly because my companion goes home, meaning I'll be the only one left here that knows the ward, the area, our investigators. and let me tell you, after 3 weeks, I'm still trying to figure out what people are saying, let alone where the heck I am. Haha. The squatters areas are just so hard to navigate because there's all these little back way eskinitas... it's going to be so interesting. But I'm excited to get it split and start finding. It's going to be awesome. I'm pretty sure I'll be in this area at least until mid November, if not until next year. But that just depends on if they decide to white wash the area or not after November. We'll find out soon enough though I guess.
So I had some really awesome experiences this week. The first one is that I'm starting to be able to see people in an eternal perspective. I know that sounds so weird, but let me explain. Sometimes, it's so hard with your investigators because you can see they're not really progressing and you worry what they're really understanding or really ready to make such huge changes in their lives. It's kind of discouraging at points. But we taught a lesson to the Puod family this week, this is the family without the mom. And we're sitting in their little tiny house that's probably half the size of my room downstairs, on a wooden bench, teaching them about family prayer. And all of the sudden it was like I could just see them as a strong family, sealed in the temple and so happy because they knew who they were and what they are supposed to be doing in this life. It was like my heart just swelled for them because I could see their potential. It was the craziest and coolest thing in the world. And I was thinking about it, and I think we get discouraged because when we see people, we see them as who they have been and who they are now. But when God looks at people, he see them in the eternal perspective and he sees them as all they can become. It was such a cool experience.
Also this week, Jeyer decided to tag along with us on Saturday. Not really sure why; I think he might not have wanted to go home or something. He's still unemployed, and we found out his family story this week. His mom lives in a different province and he lives with his dad and 2 other siblings here in the city. There's 7 kids total. His mom left his dad because his dad is abusive. He said it's because he's crazy because he did drugs for a lot of years. Broke my heart when he was telling us all of this. I told that to sister Schardt and I said, I just want to help him. And she goes, that's what we're doing. What he needs is the gospel and that's exactly what we're going to give him. And it's so true.
It's incredible to see the difference in him already and it's only been 3 weeks. That's the power of the gospel in action. Anyway, he tagged a long with us and our last apt was to meet with bishop and figure out new boundaries. So we went to bishops and discussed what the ward can do to help, what we need to do, how to get prepared for the split and build our finding in certain areas, and then bishop just basically talked to Jeyer and said, this is what the church does and it's all based on volunteers work. We do it because we know in the end we're all children of God and we want to help as many people as we can. And then he talked to him about serving a mission and the perpetual education fund and it was just so freaking awesome and the spirit was so strong. And we leave, and Jeyer goes, I'm just so happy right now. Yes :) I love it! I have high hopes for that kid.
Another thing from this week...It's incredible to see how consistent the spirit is. There are some points when I can't tell if the spirit is there in a lesson or not. I feel good and everything, but I can't tell what our investigator is feeling. But I figured it out this week. It's so consistent that you really don't notice it's there unless it's REALLY strong; but you for sure know when it's gone. It is the craziest thing. Two examples. One...the traveling sisters came to the house on Thursday. One of them, sister Bernardo, is an absolute sweetheart. She's way huggy, touchy though, which is fine. I'm totally down with hugging you. But twice during that morning, twice, she pinched my cheek. The first time, I was caught off guard and I just laughed it off. The second time though, my heavens, really woman?! I am not 2 years old. I'm thinking in my head, bless your heart, but if you pinch my cheek again, something bad is going to happen. Haha. Maybe it's because she's Philippino and finds my red cheeks amusing. I don't know. Anyway, spirit definitely gone, it was like a "whoosh" and it was gone. Holy cow, so crazy. second example. We worked with one of the ward missionaries this week who has his call to Guam and leaves in 2 weeks. He was telling about his experience with us to bishop and was saying how the spirit was so strong in our lessons. I felt the spirit, but not that strong by any means. Anyway, point of the story, I think you get more immune to it. It's the craziest thing.
Ok, last things. First of all, Boo needs to eat like a philippino. I think that every time we eat a meal. They have the fork in the left hand and a spoon in the right hand and then you scoop the food into the spoon with the fork. It's absolutely genius. You get more food in one bite, and you don't have to use your hands to shovel it in. Just a tip for boo so he doesn't look like a heathen when he starts going on dates :)
I loved the updates in the letters. Made my day. It's always good to hear news from home. I feel things that I thought of for Christmas package: vegetable peeler and dayquil and nightquil. They don't have that kind of medicine here and the two sisters in my apt are way sick and that's exactly what they need. So I figure I should get some just in case. People here are already starting to recognize who I am. When I’m walking down the street people will shout "Sister Weller, hi". Honest to goodness, I never know who they are. Haha. It's hilarious. So I just smile, act like I know them and say hi back. I've only been here 3 weeks, how do they even know who I am already?!  Tell Chanae if I don't get a letter from her next mail run...... I don't know what I'll do but I'll think of something. And thank you for the world updates. I can't believe everything that's going on back east. I wonder if that's affecting Danielle any. I know they just barely moved there so I hope everything’s ok for them. Anyway, that's all for the week. I love you all so much and I'm so grateful for all the support. It means the world! Pa Alam until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment