Monday, February 13, 2012

Morong...


So I'm pretty much super glad that I made it out of the city too! When it rains, it doesn't actually stink all the time. Love it. And you'll be so proud, I actually took some pictures for you, so if I get some time to send them you can check it out. So yep, there's still 4 of us in the apartment. This area is about 2 hours away from the temple, which is about 3 hours total from my last area, depending on traffic of course, farthest zone in the mission, well, other than Mindoro. 

But this week has been a much better week. I'm starting to get to know more people and actually figure out where I’m at. Let's just say we have much work to do. I don't mind that at all though...actually prefer it that way. So, I have updates about the companion....guys I figured it out this week. I had this huge light bulb moment as to why we are struggling so bad. #1: She is much more a letter of the law than a spirit of the law, and we all know I'm a spirit. Enough said. Ha. #2: We have a huge language barrier. She's going from Urdu to Tagalog, I’m going from English to Tagalog, so we're both trying to meet in the middle with a language that is foreign for both of us. You're bound to have a lot of miscommunications when that happens. So pretty much if I don't understand, or she doesn't understand, she gets frustrated, so then I get defensive. Moral of the story, I'm getting better at being SUPER clear with what it is I'm trying to say. And then I'm just way patient....If I'm frustrated, I just laugh and try not to let it show. But this is the thing, you just sacrifice whatever it is that you want so that you can have the spirit with you. Because if you can't feel the spirit, your work goes down the drain and you just waste everyone's time, including your own. So you make sacrifices and swallow whatever it is so that you can have the spirit with you. Ah, the joys of being with someone 24/7. Just remind me never to marry someone where we don't have the same native tongue. It's getting way better though. I love hearing all the weird little things about her culture that I don't even think about. Our new joke is that I'm going to be the one to pick her husband. She'll have an arranged marriage as soon as she gets home, so I decided I want to be the one to choose. Haha. First I need some pictures though. It's the craziest thing just hearing her talk about things that for her are absolutely normal but for me are like, WHAT?!  But it's been good. Much much better this week, I tell you.  

So guys, news flash for you all....I'm COLD in this place! I'm not even kidding you.  Every time I think about it, it's like, is this a joke. Of course there are still hot days, but not anything like it is in the Manila metro area. My goodness. Let me give you 3 stories just to demonstrate. First of all, I woke up freezing the other night and had to put on my sweatshirt. Yes, you just read that correctly. Second of all, it's been raining for the past few days and I've been so cold I actually heated up water last night so I could take a hot shower. First time I’ve done that here. 3rd, it was about twilight and we were hiking up a mountain to a member's house and we passed a dirty kitchen, it's like a little wooden stove top thing, I don't know how to describe it, but I actually stopped and warmed myself because it felt good. What is happening to me? Haha. I'm seriously going to freeze in Utah. Not good.

My spelling has gotten worse here. And the best part is, everyone always goes, she knows English, she'll know how to spell it. Bahaha, yeah right! Yesterday's incident was "crucifixion". Yeah, had no idea. I think I spelled it with a "fiction", like the fiction novels. Had to look it up in the good ole bible dictionary.  Pathetic. I'm trying to think of everything else that's happened this week, but kind of all a blur. Had interview with President. Sister Delamare worked with us. I seriously struggled trying to speak English to her. Wish you could have seen it. President is so great. I have a ton of respect for him. Oh wait, that's another thing! Can we just have a moment and say President reminds me of Patrick White! It is straight up weird! Just in the way he talks, his mannerism, his outlook on life. It's the craziest thing ever and always just makes me laugh. Ok, that really is all I can think of right now. I'll try to keep better track for next week, deal. Love you all and congrats again to my 3 besties for their temple day. So happy for them. Mahal na mahal kayo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment