Monday, October 3, 2011

New Companion...Same Area (Tandang Sora)


KUMSTA!! Hello my family!!

Holy cow, are you serious! another temple in Provo? That's like what, 15 temples in Utah or something. Man, we are seriously spoiled. I love the analysis as to why Provo though. Bahahah!! SO true. And in Star Valley too. Haha, I love that I'm getting the general conference updates before I can even watch it. No surprises for me, eh? :) And I heard about the USU/BYU game! Ah man, SO close. Can't lie, made me pretty happy though that we at least put up a good fight. I love that Ryan is Scrat's hometeacher. haha. Such a small world.

Oh my goodness, there's so much to tell, so I'll try to be quick like a duck. First of all, transfers were last week and I now have a new companion!!!  Oh my goodness, she is AWESOME!! Her name is Sister Ramilo and this is only her 3rd transfer. Yes, her 3rd transfer and she's follow up training. I told you she was astig. She's from Mindinao, 21 years old, and a teacher. They graduate school here at 16 so most are college graduates by 21/22. She's an amazing teacher though and I'm learning so much from her about just teaching clearly and simply and really involving the investigators.  She's so awesome with helping me with the language too. I try to always speak to her in Tagalog. If I get stuck though, I can switch to English because she's an English teacher so she can help me translate it over. Seriously, yesterday I think I learned between 20-30 words just because every time I had a question, I'd just ask her or she'd say, so do you know what that is in Tagalog. She's so awesome and I'm way excited to be working with her. She's SO laid back.  It's nice that way though because there's better give and take and we get a long. The only part that's hard is that right now, I really don't want to be in charge. I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing so I don't want to be the one making the decisions. But we really don't have a choice seeming as I'm the only one who knows the area and the investigators. It's been interesting and I've had to really step up a lot in the past few days. But it's ok, she's so patient with me. Even when I get us lost a million times in the squatters areas or miss a turn so we end up going in a circle. Haha, whoops. Anyway, I'm super excited for this transfer and it's going to be awesome.

So I ate Balut this week! You know, the egg thing. So here's the deal, you crack open one end of the egg, suck out the juices and then peel back the shell a bit. Yeah, it's like a whole bird inside of there. I totally thought you had to eat the whole thing, but apparently it's more common for people to just eat the yoke, which is totally ok. So I just ate the yoke that the little ducky grows around. Wasn't too bad. Honestly, I don't even think it tastes like anything much. One of our investigators finished off the bird for me. Disgusting. Awesome moments from last week: I found Quakers honey nut squares at the grocery store last week and they were actually cheap!! So don't you worry, I now have cold cereal and yes, I've never been so happy in all my life. Also, funniest thing...so of course I work out every morning. Haha, I now have the whole apartment working out with me. Haha, We do planks and ab routines and pilates leg workouts. haha, it's hilarious. I love it though, of course :) Sad part of the week, the 3rd bagyo this week is now approaching and yesterday my English scriptures got wet. Yes, way wet. And I have no idea how! They were in their case, INSIDE a plastic bag, INSIDE my backpack! Siguro, the humidity?? I don't know. But if so, it's gone too far. This humidity is already messing with my hair, and now it's messed with my scriptures....that's crossing the line! I'm pretty sad about it, but hopefully they'll dry ok.

I'm trying to think of a specific spiritual moment for you, but I honestly can't think of just
one. This week has just been awesome with Sister Ramilo. She just has a great feel about her and it's been so awesome to see her teaching style and how much it is helping out investigators. We had one lesson about the Book of Mormon to one family, and it was so awesome to see them actually understand how important the Book of Mormon is. I don't think any of our other investigators have gotten that kind of understanding because we just have been horrible at explaining it. So we've had so many good lessons with less actives members and investigators where the spirit has been so strong. I was thinking about it today, and yeah, sometimes it's frustrating because you just want them to understand and change their lives in an instant because of that understanding. But really, even if it takes them a couple months, that's still so super fast for them to completely change their lives around. It's a miracle to see how fast their desires can change.

I love you all and I'm so grateful for your example and support. So many times we visit recent converts or less active families and every time I'm always just so grateful that we had a family founded on the gospel. It honestly makes all the difference. Mahal na Mahal ko kayo!! Have a fantastic week!


No comments:

Post a Comment